What Are the General Down Payment Requirements When Buying a House?
There is no straightforward answer because it depends on:
- The type of home you’re buying: single family, condo or multi-family
- The type of mortgage program you’re using: conventional or government
- The size of your loan: conforming or jumbo
- The loan product: adjustable rate or fixed
- The reason you’re buying the house: primary residence, second home or an investment
Lenders consider all of these variables when determining how much you’ll be required to put down.
Learn more about down payment requirements and use our matrix to find out what you’ll be required to put down.
Get down with Guaranteed Rate’s mortgage 101 resources – mortgages made easy.
Continue Your Guaranteed Rate Education
Access Guaranteed Rate’s eBook Library